We read an interesting piece on the Black Spectacles blog this week, about the primary software skills required by leading design firms in the US.
Data was collected from a survey of 928 job postings at the top 50 architecture firms.
In summary, for software skills, over 70% of architecture jobs require Revit skills and over 50% still require AutoCAD skills. The #3 software skill required is SketchUp. Hand-sketching was only mentioned in 4% of jobs listed.
In contrast, here are the top 15 most popular skills assessment topics from the KS library. This list is compiled from data gathered from a list of Architecture and Engineering firms in the UK, US, Canada, Aus/NZ, SA and ME regions. The split between A & E firms is more or less equal.
1) Revit Architecture (Autodesk)
2) AutoCAD (Autodesk)
3) Revit Structure (Autodesk)
4) Bentley MicroStation (Bentley Systems)
5) BIM Management (software vendor neutral)
6) AutoCAD Civil 3D (Autodesk)
7) Revit MEP (Autodesk)
8) Navisworks (Autodesk)
9) SketchUp (Trimble)
10) Adobe InDesign (Adobe)
11) Rhino (McNeel)
12) Bentley AECOsim Building Designer (Bentley Systems)
13) 3ds Max (Autodesk)
14) ArchiCAD (Graphisoft)
15) Adobe Photoshop (Adobe)
Not surprisingly, almost half of the titles listed are from the Autodesk stable. Bentley Systems and Adobe have two apiece, with Graphisoft, Trimble and McNeel making up the rest. Interestingly, general BIM knowledge (no particular vendor) is a top 5 topic.
Here is a summary of the average score & time for the general level assessments, for each title:
1) Revit Architecture - 69% in 63 mins
2) Revit MEP - 65% in 76 mins
3) Adobe InDesign - 64% in 45 mins
4) Revit Structure - 63% in 64 mins
5) Adobe Photoshop - 62% in 48 mins
6) AutoCAD - 62% in 73 mins
7) Bentley MicroStation - 60% in 84 mins
8) Rhino - 57% in 42 mins
9) BIM Management - 56% in 44 mins
10) ArchiCAD - 56% in 51 mins
11) AutoCAD Civil 3D - 56% in 76 mins
12) Navisworks - 54% in 49 mins
12) SketchUp - 54% in 49 mins
14) Bentley AECOsim Building Designer - 54% in 71 mins
15) 3ds Max - 53% in 55 mins
In many cases, the data illustrates a clear need for additional basic skills training, if the most popular software tools used in A & E businesses are to be used productively and efficiently on Construction projects.